Saturday, October 8, 2011

Serving

Serving. A Term I would say is not looked at deeply enough.

To Serve : Perform duties or services for (another person or an organization).


   I recently started a position as a server for Taste Of Belgium , A small bistro in Over - The - Rhine a historic neighborhood in the Art District of Cincinnati and I have to say I absolutely love the environment. The Mosaic Floor, Smell of Gourmet Waffles and Espresso mixed with the ambience of great music you would expect to find in a coffee house or bistro of this sort. The people who dine with us are all well dressed , polite and smiling because they appreciate the atmosphere they have just entered. 






  I have significant experience in the customer service Industry, I've worked in an International Airport Marriott, I've knocked on doors hundreds of times a day setting appointments for a Prestigious Window Company , I've taken In Home Appointments selling the World's Finest Cutlery, Assisted customers trying to find high class denim at Buckle a clothing store in the mall. And of course I've grown up around Christian Institutions , being baptized Catholic and Non Denominational later in life and even serving time in a Baptist ministry. 


  So it is safe to say I know a thing or two about serving. However I have never actually had the opportunity to be a food server in a Restaurant, I have bussed tables, Hosted, been a Barback, a food runner and basically any other job in the front of the house except serving. So today I had my first experience with this job and I have to say it's truly enjoyable for me. What makes it so fun is knowing that it's not about me while at the same time being entirely about me. I have to understand that appearance is everything. We get one and only one first impression. So when I approach the table I make damn sure that I look dapper. You better believe I trimmed this beard this morning, took a shower and wore my retainer last night so that these teeth this face and these eyes are what draw you in as I impress you with my gentleman's charm when I approach your table. 
"Oh you would like a glass of orange juice , of course sir, it would be MY PLEASURE."  because it is my pleasure. When my customers are smiling every time I stride over to their table it brings me pleasure. When I ask them how the food was and they say it was great, it was amazing, it was everything they expected I know that part of that taste was the garnish of my good service sprinkled on top. 


  Do not mistake this for cockiness or arrogance because it is anything but that. This is confidence based off of years of learning and scores of experiences, reflection and feedback. If you want to do it right. You do it right.
I am extremely proud of myself and I look so forward to the learning that will ensue for the weeks and months to come. My ultimate goal is to learn the entire in house menu and make my way behind the bar serving drinks when our dinner menu and bar open in November. Why ? Because that is the highest compensated and most talented serving position. I believe I am more than worthy of this position and I will do what it takes to acquire it. Get in my way and I promise you'll be swept forward by my airstream as I jet by. My Co workers are vitally important to my growth and mine to theirs. 


  So If you want to be served Gourmet Waffles by Jean Francois then let Jake Malott The Cincinnati Kid bring that plate to your table and I promise you will enjoy the experience. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment