Tuesday, September 2, 2014

It's called the Grand Bazaar for a reason.

   Stepping into the Grand Bazaar at first feels like any other flea market I've shopped through. Weird goods and items all over the place, people weaving in and out from each other, smells of old collectibles and fresh food. However -it is MUCH more impressive...obviously, it's the Grand Bazaar for a reason. This place is gigantic, I mean, this place is HUGE. I didn't feel like I was walking around some flea market barn; I felt like I was walking around a small town. It's like an entire village of shopping with tucked away courtyards where 200 year old grapevines drop presents into your lap (this actually happened while having tea), more Turkish china and rug vendors than you could remember and of course the necessary slogan t-shirt shops with one's like "I'd google it but my wife already has an answer". The ceilings as you can see are adorned with decorative painting and wide arches only adding to the surreality of the environment.
   Below you find Turkish lamps. These are quite common in the bazaar and I'd really like to bring one home to hang in my bathroom. I stayed in a hostel that had some in the sleeping quarters and the light coming from them was really impressive. 
    The famed Turkish spices in this picture below! I was sure quick to waft the scent from some jasmine tea before the shop keeper tried to sell me some. Which leads me to my next point about shopping in the bazaar -Turkish shop keeps (and restaurateurs) are aggressive sales people and can be very persuasive if you are a timid person. Humor and smiles are a great way to deflect their advances as well as haggle prices with them.
    Below we are introduced to the renowned Turkish Rugs. Ever since I was young I have been enthralled by the woven artistry of these impressive textiles. It is my distinguished goal to leave with one or more of these as they are said to last a respectful 200 years therefore making them family heirlooms. BOOM BABY.
    Please, take a moment to admire the patterns. This picture shows you the colors that attract me but ohhh there are many many many more options. The dealer first will invite you in with friendly conversation and charming English which he speaks very well. This particular dealer goes by the nickname "George Clooney" because he looks like the star and "it's much easier to pronounce than his Turkish name". He was a great character and even better salesman, I bought five rugs and blew my entire first two months budget!! Ha just kidding. He was good though and I'll be sure to be back.                                                  
   So after the conversation begins and the guests have taken a seat, classic turkish tea is brought out and then the show begins. Rugs are pulled from walls, and the floor, and here and there, and all of a sudden your mind is reeling after design and design, and color, and type, and all this information is overwhelmingly brought to you from this savvy Turk. Needless to say, it was quite impressive. I wish I could shop like this more often, although, it takes over an hour -so maybe not.
                                             
 This Turkish Rug Experience is over and we continue moving along. The bazaar opens to an outdoor market and now I'm not even sure if I'm still in the bazaar but then boom here I am, as I exit the alley, back in the bazaar. Not sure what happened there but below is a glimpse of the outdoor alley market.
    Oh -and what Grand Bazaar would be complete without the opportunity to let leeches suck the bad juju out of your blood. Didn't try that one...wtf.
Finally the Grand Bazaar tour is over and I have this great photo taken of me in front of the Nuruosmaniye Mosque. Profile Pic.

I'd like to give a huge thanks to the University of Cincinnati, their International Department, and also the School of Planning within DAAP for making this trip happen. It truly is a life changing experience and I recommend the opportunity to travel abroad to anyone. All you have to do is ask your University Faculty how to make it happen and they will help TREMENDOUSLY to get you visiting and studying where ever it is that you want to be. Stay tuned for more of...

No comments:

Post a Comment